Below you will find an overview of the current contributions.
Every Bebat member pays an annual flat rate contribution of €60 (VAT excl.). In addition, you are also charged an environmental contribution or an administrative contribution per portable, industrial or automotive battery or accumulator put onto the market.
For retroactive declarations, the applicable environmental or administrative contribution is the one that was valid when the battery or the battery-operated device was brought onto the market.
What changed from 1 January 2022 onwards?
From 1 January 2022 onwards contributions for most batteries and accumulators decreased again. For Energy Storage Systems (ESS) or home batteries, an environmental contribution was introduced as of 1 January 2022. A detailed overview of the rates is given below.
- The environmental contribution for most batteries will decrease from € 0.057 (excl. VAT) to € 0.053 (excl. VAT), which entails a further decrease of 7%. Since 1/1/2013 Bebat has reduced the environmental contribution by 57%.
- For Energy Storage Systems (ESS) or home batteries* an environmental contribution is introduced instead of an administrative contribution. The rates are
- € 2.39 / kg (excl. VAT) for Energy Storage Systems (ESS) based on lithium-ion
- € 1.27 / kg (excl. VAT) for Energy Storage Systems (ESS) based on saltwater
- The environmental contributions of lithium rechargeable batteries of the 3 weight categories ≤ 2 kg remain unchanged.
- The environmental contribution for rechargeable lithium batteries in the weight category > 2 kg to ≤ 10 kg (including most batteries of electric bicycles) will decrease from € 8.5 (excl. VAT) to € 7 (excl. VAT). For the weight category from > 10 kg to ≤ 20 kg, the environmental contribution will decrease from € 2.49 (excl. VAT) per kg to € 2.26 (excl. VAT) per kg. These contributions apply to batteries other than ESS or home batteries.
- The administrative contribution of lead batteries > 3 kg will decrease from € 0.057 (excl. VAT) to € 0.053 (excl. VAT).
- It is also important to note that the administrative contribution for all other batteries > 20 kg will decrease from € 0.057 (excl. VAT) to € 0.053 (excl. VAT).
Discover the new contributions here
The changes will enter into force on 01/01/2022 for sales between professionals (manufacturers, importers, wholesalers and retailers). As with any previous rate change, a transition period is again foreseen until 01/04/2022 for sales to consumers.
This allows existing stocks that were put on the market before 01/01/2022 to be sold for 3 months to consumers at the 2021 contributions. However, Bebat will invoice the new contributions for all batteries put on the market from 01/01/2022 onwards.
* Energy Storage Systems (ESS) or home batteries are energy storage batteries with a weight of up to and including 200 kg that are connected to a decentralised energy production installation for electricity (e.g. solar panels), regardless of where they are installed. Batteries that are primarily used for backup purposes, so-called UPS batteries, are not included. To be clear: home batteries are not traditional batteries such as AA, AAA, button cells, etc.
Contributions - History
Here you can consult the history of the contributions since the abolition of the "ecotax legislation" on batteries.
Maybe you also want to read this
Do you have a question?
- Why are there differentiated environmental contributions for rechargeable lithium batteries?
- According to the current legislation, on what basis should the declaration be submitted?
- I currently only pay an administrative fee to Bebat for batteries over 20 kg. When can I expect the first invoice for the collection of my end-of-life batteries?